Moving to Portugal
The Tilleys arrived this summer, hailing from Surrey and settling in the Algarve. We talk about where exactly a little later into the podcast. It was fantastic meeting them and great to hear their story! Listen along…
View this post on Instagram
- They’re currently living in Olhão but originally from Kent and Surrey
- Prior to the move, they spent a lot of time in Portugal and actually got married in São Lourenço church in Almançil, with a reception at Pine Cliffs (Albufeira).
- Sam runs a software company and has always been keen to move to Portugal full time.
- Schools – we discuss quite a few issues with schooling.
- Working in the Algarve and the opportunities for growth, particularly in the IT industry. Sam has a wonderfully positive outlook. We discuss the Algarve Tech Hub and the Share Algarve conference.
- Using Algarve Removals to relocate their entire house was a stress free experience.
- They found a villa in Santa Barbara de Neixe but didn’t stay for long, are staying in Olhão now and will be moving to Faro.
- Lou has found a lot of help from Facebook groups with Loulé Mums and Tots and other groups.
- We talk about the shopping centers a little: Mar Shopping, Forum Algarve in Faro, Algarve Shopping, Tavira Shopping.
- How to connect in the Algarve? Find a group that shares similar interests to yours. Go to events. Get out there.
- From Olhão we talk about Farol Island and Armona Island.
- We talk about boat trips to the caves near Armação de Pera, dolphin watching in the wild (and in Zoomarine).
- Ria Formosa walking trail with tons of chameleons and a tide mill next to the Ria Formosa.
- We talk about Olhão and the fish markets, the nature trail, the fish rodizio restaurants (all you can eat) and all the things that are good about Olhão (including it’s history).
- Suggestions! Restaurant Sardinha in Arrifes.