Diogo Sousa, SUP Champion
Diogo has lived in Albufeira for most of his life and still loves it. It’s probably the most contentious city in the entire Algarve when it comes to tourism (as many people hate it, but others love it). How about you, do you love it or hate it? Listen up for Diogo’s take on Albufeira…
I interviewed him in the Praia Galé Restaurant which is a great spot! They’re so cool they even have Instagram 🙂
- Welcome to Diogo Sousa who was born and still lives in Albufeira.
- We discuss the quality of life that the beach affords us here in the Algarve.
- When he was young he started skim-boarding on the beach and started working on the beach at 14 years old.
- Three month long summer holidays working on his family’s beach concession in Albufeira.
- We talk about the night life in Albufeira.
- We talk about Zezé Camarinha, a self proclaimed local Playboy (this may only be funny to Portuguese people, although I found it hilarious).
- The Portuguese Navy in Almada and then University in Faro: Sports Science.
- Learning watersports and Sports Science in Centro Nautico (Faro Beach) and Penha Campus in Faro.
- Thursday nights in Faro!
- Working as a personal trainer in a gym in Portimão.
- Teaching sailing to the kids in Marina Yacht Club in Albufeira Marina.
- Opening his own business.
- Being the best paddle boarder in Portugal and going to Sardinia to represent his country.
- Portuguese food! Cataplana (fish stew in a big copper bowl) We talk about “Sete Maravilhas a Mesa” or the seven marvels of the table (literally translated). Sadly the website is only really for Portuguese speakers. It’s quite a big thing on TV.
- We also discuss Javali (wild boar), Arroz de Pato (duck rice) and Bacalhau (codfish).
- Diogo’s suggestions: to party, go to Albufeira (listen to our night life podcast), to relax head over to the west side of Albufeira to Praia Galé or even Falésia over on the eastern side of Albufeira.
- Diogo’s best beaches: no crowds and natural beauty: Praia Santa Eulália, Praia Galé, Praia da Coelha and a secret beach…
- Cliff-jumping in Algar Seco near Carvoeiro.
- Find Diogo online with Albufeira Watersports and SUP Albufeira.
View this post on Instagram
Got 9th at the Technical Race here at the EuroSUP 2018 in Sardegna. It was a though Race, with upwind, downwind, sidewind but it was the best racing experience I ever had so far. The level is so high that we can only see it by racing side by side with the best racers from europe and the world! 🇪🇺🌍 Now it’s time to support and cheer for the rest of the team in the long distance and the SUP Wave. Lets go Portugal 🇵🇹💪 @fps_oficial @mikedavis76 @ipdj_ip @comiteolimpicoportugal @fundacaododesporto @wgcommunication @cisionpt #eurosup #sardegna #portugal #nspsurfnsup #quickblade #qbpaddles #paddleboard #sup #standuppaddle #supportugal #albufeirasurfclube #beachrace #technicalrace