Episode 12 / An interview in Burgau
Tom hails from Wales and spent a few years in California cementing his love for sunshine and the great outdoors. After his return to Wales he decided that moving to Algarve was the best thing for the family, so he set up Algarve Marquees from his base in Burgau.
Listen up to a really enjoyable conversation!
This is a brief outline of what we’ve discussed
- The traditional village of Burgau in Tom’s campervan.
- A word on the local weather (we normally don’t need to discuss the weather here as it’s always good!) and why Tom moved over from Wales.
- Current water temperature in Faro, it was 19ºC at the time of the interview (which is pretty warm).
- California, world travels and then the Algarve: a good move.
- Starting Algarve Marquees, events and mobile bars: http://www.algarvemarquees.com/
- Working with Toby from The Surf Experience.
- Arrifana Surf Festival and one of the most incredible beaches in the region.
- Algarve Triathlons and the perfect setting for triathlons.
- The first triathlon was held in “Praia da Luz”. It helped the community especially after the Madeline McCann incident.
- Following on from the Luz Triathlon, the Luz Sardine Festival took place.
- The Guadiana Challenge with Tom and myself.
- Nazaré big wave surfing and Andrew Cotton.
- The Water Kings Race in Lagos and Lufinha.
- #Vanlife and a few good spots in the Algarve: Odeceixe for one. Further north Zambujeira do Mar, Vila Nova do Milfontes.
Photos of Burgau
Including a photo of Praia da Luz and Tom in his camper van.