Meet Francisco Lufinha
He achieved fame for breaking the world record when he kitesurfed from Porto to Lagos in the Algarve. He currently holds the world record for the longest non-stop kitesurfing journey.
- Early years: summer sailing holidays in the Algarve.
- His dreams of becoming a policeman, and then realizing that being outdoors in nature captivated him completely. Looking up to Robbie Naish (as did I!).
- University: Industrial management and engineering, became a consultant, worked at a bank, co-founded a startup…
- Co-managed a sailing project called Mini-Transat. A race with 80 solo sailors leaving from France, stopping in Madeira and finishing in Brazil. His team came 1st.
- Francisco’s first foray into film-making, being a general manager of a resort in Morocco and founding +Mar.
- The 12-hour “Waterkings Event” currently based in Lagos: a team-based competition with 4 people and using SUP, Kitesurf, sailing boats and windsurfers.
- Francisco Lufinha’s Odysseys: The first kitesurf trip from Porto to Lagos in 2013, 29 hours non-stop for 564 km. He also talks about his sponsors Mini, Zhik wetsuits and all other kinds of gear.
- 2014: The second kitesurf challenge, from the Savage Islands to Funchal (306km in 12 hours).
- 2015: The third kitesurf challenge from Lisbon to Madeira and currently the World Record: 874 km / 47h37m. Wow! Watch the full 50 minute documentary for free.
- 2017: 4th trip, Açores to Lisbon
- Francisco’s recommendations of places to visit in the Algarve: Lagos and the Alvor lagoon are both perfect for Kite Surfing, windsurfing and sailing. The caves between Lagos and Sagres are great to explore. The beaches north of Sagres are excellent for surfing. The Ria Formosa and the barrier islands of Culatra, Armona, and Fuseta.
- If you’re looking for an incredible experience, he’s offering you a holiday on board his 45 ft catamaran!
- What do you do Francisco: “I live from the sea”. 🙂 Follow him on Facebook, his website, and Instagram.
The original Porto to Lagos kitesurf trip
As you may have realized, Francisco has completed four major kitesurf adventures. Here is a taste of his first one in 2013.